Last week, Princess Charlene of Monaco, the wife of the head of state of the principality Prince Albert II, returned home after eight months of recovery in her native South Africa. Days after her return, however, she canceled a scheduled appearance during the National Day celebrations, sparking new speculation that things could turn out badly in the royal household. In a Wednesday interview with a newspaper Monaco-Morning, Albert said Charlene left Monaco to continue her recovery, although he declined to say where she traveled.
“She is better but she still needs rest and peace,” he said. âShe is not in the principality but we will be able to visit her very soon. I cannot tell you more out of discretion. There is fatigue, not just physical, which can only be treated with a period of rest and monitoring. He also said Charlene’s prolonged absence caused him to focus his attention more on the couple’s six-year-old twins, Princess Gabriella and Prince Jacques.
When the royal household announced that Charlene was canceling her scheduled appearances for the days of celebration of the founding of Monaco, she explained her condition in a statement. “A period of calm and rest is necessary to ensure the best recovery for the health of Princess Charlene”, one can read. “After battling ill health over the past few months, the Princess is currently recovering and will continue to do so over the next few weeks, allowing her to recover from a state of deep general fatigue.”
Charlene’s medical odyssey began in March, when complications from previous sinus surgery indefinitely extended a planned two-week trip to South Africa. In August, she told a nationwide radio station that she was having trouble “equalizing the pressure” in her ears, so she couldn’t fly. She then underwent two more surgeries and was hospitalized for further complications in September. While away, Charlene used her Instagram account to share updates about her health. His most recent post, from last week, contains a photo of his reunion with Albert, Jacques and Gabriella in Monaco. “Have a good day today,” said the legend. âThank you all for keeping me strong. ”
In July, Paris Match speculated that a failing relationship between the couple might have something to do with their prolonged absence, adding that Charlene was already known to spend her time away from Albert in homes in Corsica and Provence before her illness. Albert, who was known for an active love life in the 1980s and 90s and fathered two children out of wedlock before marrying Charlene in 2011, also responded to rumors that his marriage was in trouble in his interview on Wednesday with Monaco-Morning.
“I’m starting to get used to all of this,” he said, when asked about press attacks targeting his relationship. “I don’t want to be seen as a cranky old man, but I’ve learned to take it all in and make sure I don’t mind too much.”
More great stories from Vanity Fair
– Inside the sudden disappearance of the most wanted man in the art world
– The guy who bought the jet from Jeffrey Epstein has some regrets
– Eight books that we couldn’t let go of this month
– Why did the palace initially keep the Queen’s Hospital a secret?
– John Mulaney-Olivia Munn rumor mill keeps spinning
– The best Schitt Creek Merchandise
– The story behind Prince Harry’s democratic roots
– It’s 40 for Ivanka Trump
– Extract from the archives: In the private service of His Majesty
– Subscribe to “The Buyline” to receive an organized list of fashion, book and beauty purchases in a weekly newsletter.